Let’s do some cooking today.
I love eating mushrooms(most of the times!). The usual indian recipes with mushrooms are mushroom paneer, mushroom matar and mushroom do-pyaaza. I like eating my mushrooms without peas or cottage cheese, so I normally cook mushrooms with onions. This recipe is a slight variation of Mushroom Do-pyaaza (unlike that recipe, I use onion only in one form). So let’s get started.
Mushrooms- 400 gm (approx.)
Onions- 2 to 3 medium sized
Olive Oil (or any cooking oil)- 2 tablespoons
Cumin Seeds- 1 tablespoon
Green cardamoms- 2-3 (whole, not crushed)
Cinnamon stick- a small piece
Green chilies (optional)
Fresh Coriander leaves
Salt (to taste)(1/4th tablespoon)
Red chili powder (to taste)
Garam Masala (to taste)
- Chop the mushrooms in small chunks. Also thinly slice the onions, chop the fresh coriander and chilies, if using.
- Heat the oil in the a deep pan or wok. Add cumin seeds to the slightly hot oil. Once it stops crackling, add cardamom seeds and a stick of cinnamon. Let it infuse the oil for 30-40 seconds.
- Add thinly sliced onions and cook them on medium high to high. You want to turn the onion slightly brown and crispy.
- Once the onions are done, lower the flame. Add salt, turmeric, red chili powder and garam masala. Cook on low flame for 30 seconds or so.
- Now add the chopped mushrooms and turn the flame to medium high.Add chopped chilies and stir well. Cover and wait for around 2 minutes to let the mushroom release some water.
- Once a bit moist, lower the flame, cover and cook. It will take around 7-10 minutes to turn a bit soft. You should check it in between and cook it as per your liking. I like them a bit soft and it usually takes 7-10 minutes.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked to your taste, turn the flame to high, remove the lid and let the excess moisture dry. When it is done, garnish with green coriander and you are DONE!!!!
Serve hot with homemade chapati or even with store bought bread.
I hope some of you will try the recipe. Please do let me know if you enjoyed the recipe!!!