The winter has arrived late this time. By the time we normally would be getting some relief from the cold winters in the north, this time the cold wave started getting stronger. Not loving it, but what can we really do in front of nature???
Anyways, today I will share my recipe for a Tomato soup with you. I love tomato soup, and in winters this is one of my comfort food. Just sharing it with you how I make it at home.
Fresh Tomatoes– 500 gm (Roughly chopped)
Garlic cloves-2 ( Finely chopped)
Red Onion– 1 medium (Finely chopped)
Carrot– 1 medium ( Roughly chopped)
Salt– To taste
Sugar– 1 tablespoon
Olive oil– 1 table spoon
Black pepper– To taste (Freshly crushed)
Basil– green or dried
- Take the olive oil in pressure cook. I use pressure cooker, you can use a deep thick based pan as well. Heat the oil a little and add finely chopped garlic to it. Cook for around 20 seconds and add the finely chopped red onion. Let the onions sweat a little, you don’t need to brown them.
- Add chopped carrots to it, stir and let it saute for about 1 minute. Add salt to this and mix well. Now add the chopped onions. Cook for around 2 minutes, stirring in between.
- Add a little water to the pressure cooker. You don’t need to add a lot at this stage, as you just need to pressure the vegetable. 300-400 ml should be more than enough. But if you are using a pan, you might need more. Add sugar to it.
- Pressure cook it for around 3 whistles. If you are using a pan, bring the water to boil and then cook it covered, by simmering the flame, till the tomatoes get tender.
- Once cooked, let the vegetables cool down.
- Using a blender make a smooth puree along with the water left in the vegetable.
- Strain the soup using a sieve so that you get a smooth texture.
- Put it back on the stove. At this point you can add more water depending upon the consistency that you need.
- Once the desired consistency is achieved, taste for seasoning. Turn off the stove and add black pepper and basil.
- Put in a bowl, top with some croutons, and it’s done!
I hope you will enjoy the recipe. In case you get inspired to make this tomato soup, do share with me how it turned out. 🙂